[CentOS] (a) WinPower RPM available? (b) where to install if use tar.gz file?

Sun Mar 1 20:06:49 UTC 2009
Joseph L. Casale <JCasale at activenetwerx.com>

>When I try to
>start the ups daemon, I get the below error:
>
>ups failed. The error was: Starting UPS driver controller: [FAILED]
>
>Starting upsd: [FAILED]
>
>Starting UPS monitor (master): [FAILED]

I have never used NUT before, I just knew it existed. Apcupsd has
always done what I need but I would check the logs, I have no doubt
they would show what is wrong. Have made any initial config?
Check http://eu1.networkupstools.org/doc/2.2.0/README.html
Read the FAQ:
    Once the config files are ready, start upsd:
    # /usr/local/ups/sbin/upsd -u nutsrv
    Check your syslog

>If I can't get apcupsd  or nut configured properly, then I will try
>the WinPower software the UPS manufacturer (and many others) specify.

Look here: http://www.apcupsd.com
And here is a possible config:
http://www.apcupsd.com/manual/Configuration_Examples.html#SECTION000133000000000000000

>I have the tar ball on my hard drive (45.3 MB) and maybe I can "roll
>my own" RPM for the first time.

You need to write a spec file, then use rpmbuild to make the rpm.
Google should hopefully provide the guidance this needs, you can
also ckeck the spec from any src.rpm file you can get by extracting
the contents: rpm2cpio example.src.rpm | cpio -dimv
The look for the spec.

jlc

Ps. My guess you:)