[CentOS] Deleting Large Files

Sun Mar 1 23:42:00 UTC 2009
Stephen John Smoogen <smooge at gmail.com>

On Sun, Mar 1, 2009 at 3:39 PM, Joseph L. Casale
<JCasale at activenetwerx.com> wrote:
> I have an issue with a busy CentOS server exporting iSCSI and NFS/SMB shares.
> Some of the files are very large, and when they get deleted IO climbs to an
> unacceptable rate. Is there a way to purge a file with little to no IO
> overhead on ext3?

Is it the ext3 or the exports. M

1) What is the local storage on (controller, disks, raid, etc)
2) Does the IO go up if you do the delete locally, remotely or both
3) What is your definition of unacceptable rate?

I have seen rm on NFS tie up things on various servers.. not sure if
its something the protocol does or something with the filesystem.

--
Stephen J Smoogen. -- BSD/GNU/Linux