[CentOS] Cannot open port 631 for Cups printer sharing

Mon Mar 2 20:13:04 UTC 2009
b.j. mcclure <keepertoad at bellsouth.net>

On Mon, 2009-03-02 at 11:14 -0800, Scott Silva wrote:
> on 3-2-2009 8:20 AM b.j. mcclure spake the following:
> > I have been trying to set up printer sharing on the LAN.All machines are
> > CentOS 5.2 fully updated. The problem server is a fresh build.  The box
> > it is replacing worked fine for many months.
> > The problem appears to be a closed port 631 on the new box.  iptables
> > and ip6tables are stopped as shown by the output below.  To confirm I
> > was using nmap correctly I ran it against the old server first which
> > shows 631 open.  No matter what I do to the new box (192.168.2.205) 631
> > remains closed.  I was running it on the new box via ssh which I think
> > eleminates any swithc/router issues.
> >
> > Any thoughts gladly accepted.  This must be something simple/stupid I
> > have overlooked.  Not much hair left to pull out. ;-/
> >

> Cups defaults to only being open on localhost. You have to edit the config
> file to open more up.

Perhaps I misunderstand your suggestion but cupsd.conf is identical for
the machine that works properly and the one upon which I cannot get port
631 open, even on localhost.

Thanks,
B.J.
CentOS 5.2, Linux 2.6.18-92.1.22.el5 x86_64 15:07:43 up 22:01, 4 users,
load average: 0.14, 0.09, 0.02