[CentOS] I have a test system that hangs hard...

Sat Mar 7 17:15:22 UTC 2009
David G. Miller <dave at davenjudy.org>

Robert Moskowitz <rgm at htt-consult.com> wrote:

See embedded comments.  I'm not familiar with the specific package mentioned but these are just a few standard debugging ideas.

> I have a test system:  Centos 5.2 on an OQO, that has been hanging
> hard.  I have to unplug it and pull the battery so I can then cold start it.

I assume this also means that the system runs as expected if you don't
take any of the actions described below.
> This last time all I did was open a terminal window and SU to root, then
> start the lastest build of SIP Communicator (which uses JRE 1.6.0_10).
> I was not even making a test phone call at the time.
Any chance of trying an earlier version?  Especially one that uses an
earlier JRE?
>   Oh, and the system
> only runs IPv6, no v4 addressing.

And what happens if you enable IPV4?  If possible, can SIP Communicator
be configured to use IPV4 instead of V6?  If so, does the problem persist?
> So how do I find out what is causing the hard lockups?

I'd start with enabling IPV4 addressing since it's fairly trivial to do
and then work back toward running an earlier version of the program.
You may find something like the JRE wants an IPV4 connection (just
wildly speculating here).

Cheers,
Dave

-- Ambrose Bierce