[CentOS] [OT] Network switches

Tue Mar 24 17:19:52 UTC 2009
John Doe <jdmls at yahoo.com>

One thing to remember is that you usualy get what you paid for...
I found out the hard way when my boss pushed me to buy brand XYZ PowerC... switches because they were a half the price of other brands/models.
It said "web-managed"... and it really meant web (only) managed (not even SSL encrypted!).
No snmp, no ssh...  Just a dumb unencrypted webpage with a few stats.
Could not even grab the web page to parse it because you could get the stats for 1 port at a time through an html form!
No dhcp for its management IP so, if you reactivate the management access (disabled it for obvious reasons), it will use a default fixed IP that will of course conflict with another equipment...

JD