[CentOS] looking for some advice to monitor network usage in office

Wed Mar 25 13:42:54 UTC 2009
David.Mackintosh at xdroop.com <David.Mackintosh at xdroop.com>

On Wed, Mar 25, 2009 at 10:52:23AM +0200, Spook ZA wrote:
> Hi Rudy
>
> 2009/3/25 Rudi Ahlers <rudiahlers at gmail.com>:

> > I've been asked by a college to setup a monitor to monitor a Windows
> > network, but on internet usage. They want to have detailed usage, i.e.
> > on a per IP / PC basis, and if possible to get stats for every
> > protocol, and see over a period of time what goes on.
> > Rudi Ahlers
>
> If your firewall / border gateway is running linux, have a look at:
>
>  http://www.networkuptime.com/tools/netflow/
>
> You need an exporter that will export linux netflow records and
> software that will collect and present the resultant data.

This is almost, but not quite, what I do.  Specifically, I use fprobe
to generate flows, and then nfsen/nfdump to generate the pretty
pictures that management seems to enjoy so much.  nfsen can be
configured to generate some of the information that you want, but you
can write your own perl scripts to parse the raw nfdump files and
extract whatever information you want.

Links:

  fprobe: http://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?group_id=63535
  nfdump: http://nfdump.sourceforge.net/