[CentOS] [OT] Network switches

Wed Mar 25 22:07:55 UTC 2009
nate <centos at linuxpowered.net>

Luke S Crawford wrote:
> Les Mikesell <lesmikesell at gmail.com> writes:
>> If you get a service contract on any piece of Cisco equipment, you
>> typically get download access to all of the firmware updates.
>
> Yeah, but the problem for me is that for my frontend network, 100M is just
> fine.  A used cisco 3548 is going to set me back around $200.  For my
> frontend,
> it looks like a fine switch (my only question is... will it handle IPv6?
> it does vlan tunneling so worst case I use a linux box to route my IPv6.)
> Getting access to firmware updates is 5x that, every year.

I suspect if you keep the switch in layer 2 mode IPv6 will work
just fine, but I wouldn't expect IPv6 layer 3 support from the
switch(so don't expect it to be able to act as a router for your
IPv6 network, and you may need a separate IPv4 network to manage
the switch over IP)

It might work but I wouldn't expect it to.

nate