[CentOS] live audio feed via telephone link

Wed Mar 25 23:15:22 UTC 2009
Les Mikesell <lesmikesell at gmail.com>

Frank Cox wrote:
> I'm looking into costs and feasibility of moving a live feed from a FM radio
> station from the station to a point that's past the usable range of their radio
> signal. It's a rural location and Internet service is not available at the
> station.  If the destination was closer or their transmitter was more powerful,
> I could avoid this step and just plug in a radio, but....
>
> My best idea so far is to rent a dedicated phone line from the station to the
> point where we need the feed, then get some kind of on-the-fly audio compressor
> to hook up to the main board in the station, push it out over the phone line,
> then decompress it at the destination.
>
> I'm pretty sure there is dedicated hardware to do the compression/decompression
> (whatever they use to do those "radio remotes" from Sally's Sofa Sales without
> sounding like they are broadcasting from the bottom of a rain barrel) and I'm
> currently looking into that angle too, but I'm wondering if it would be
> cheaper/easier/better to have something running on Linux at both ends of the
> connection to handle the audio compression/decompression.  Especially since I'm
> planning to run a Centos server at the destination end for other aspects of
> this project if we proceed with it.

Can't you find a place that has both radio reception and internet
service to park something like shoutcast?  Or if you want canned
hardware, I think slingbox has an audio-only mode - but maybe that's
only in the windows/mac software players.

--
   Les Mikesell
    lesmikesell at gmail.com