[CentOS] live audio feed via telephone link

Thu Mar 26 12:12:24 UTC 2009
Phil Schaffner <Philip.R.Schaffner at NASA.gov>

Frank Cox wrote:
> I'm looking into costs and feasibility of moving a live feed from a FM radio
> station from the station to a point that's past the usable range of their radio
> signal. It's a rural location and Internet service is not available at the
> station.  If the destination was closer or their transmitter was more powerful,
> I could avoid this step and just plug in a radio, but....

Might want to consider the one-time cost of a nice directional antenna
pointed at your radio station on a tower (possibly an already-existing
one - cell phone or other radio/communications) at a location with
internet access, versus the yearly cost of other alternatives suggested.
  If there are no mountains in the way 52.3km is not a long way for a
radio signal to travel.  The engineer who maintains the station should
be able to help, or find a local ham radio operator who is knowledgeable
about antennas and propagation to do the link calculations and determine
antenna gain requirements for you before investing in such an approach.

Phil