[CentOS] [OT] Network switches

Thu Mar 26 12:13:45 UTC 2009
J Potter <jpotter-centos at codepuppy.com>

> look at HP Procurves. That is what I use.
> You can get 2524's quite cheap on ebay.

We used these for years, and they were great, and super cheap on EBay.
HP support was fantastic as well. The 26xx series allows for "light"
layer 3 routing; you may want to snag the 2626 or 2650 instead of the
25xx series. I believe that HP has end-of-lifed these switches,
though, so firmware updates for security bugs, etc, will, from what I
understand, cease in a few years.

We upgraded to some Dell PowerConnect 6248s in the past year, so that
we could use VRRP for (routing-enabled) switch failover. As with all
Dell things, hammer them on the price and you can get it ~30% cheaper
than listed.

-Jeff