[CentOS] APCUPSD port 3551 permission problem

Sat Mar 28 20:36:21 UTC 2009
Joseph L. Casale <JCasale at activenetwerx.com>

>I need a little help on this problem, please? I include
>my /etc/apcupsd/apcupsd.conf file is attached.

Ok

>port 3551 udp/tcp has
>been added to the (running) firewall.

Are you attempting to run the agent on a machine *without*
the ups comm connected to it, such that it will receive status
from the server that does have it connected and shutdown when
that remote agent that *is* monitoring the ups suggests it should?

I don't think so, I think your ups is connected to the server
that is running the agent. You need not add this port to the
firewall. It talks to itself over the loopback adapter.

>My APC is recognized as:
>APC Back-UPS 450 FW:844.Kld.D USB FW:Kld
>This from the hardware browser.

>PS says:
>root      2419  0.0  0.0   4196   584 ?        Ss   Mar23
>0:09 /sbin/apcupsd -f /etc/apcupsd/apcupsd.conf
>
>Is group 2419 the problem? What should I name it? apcupsd?

Group? Below your gui correctly identifies that data field as
the pid:)

>The status field of the Service Configuration GUI says:
>apcupsd (pid 2419) is running...
>Error contacting host localhost port 3551: Connection refused

You have suggested the NETSERVER directive be off, but you want
a client side app to communicate with it:) Turn that "on" and
restart it.

jlc