[CentOS] Getting ready for CentOS 5.4

Sat Mar 28 22:45:07 UTC 2009
William L. Maltby <CentOS4Bill at triad.rr.com>

On Sun, 2009-03-29 at 06:30 +0800, Noob Centos Admin wrote:
> On Sun, Mar 29, 2009 at 3:13 AM, William L. Maltby
> <CentOS4Bill at triad.rr.com> wrote:
> > As a step to reducing the "pressure" and dissatisfaction of "Are We
> > There Yet?" ("When will xxx be released?"), a simple publication of a
> > projected time line will help. It should be updated as needed. It should
> > understood that this could be another source of "pressure" as a release
> > date nears and folks realize it may be missed.
>
> I'll suggest that instead of a timeline, which would be a source of
> pressure like you said, a weekly progress update would be just fine.
> Similar to what Karanbir, IIANW, has done on his twitter/blog
> recently. Maybe something like
>
> "CentOS 5.4 Progress: Completed 2/7 Stages.
> Stage 3 estimated 5% completed.
> No progress expected for next two weeks due to XYZ convention"
>
> The main thing is actually the VISIBILITY part. Putting it on CentOS
> frontpage would cut down a lot of the unnecessary "when/where"
> questions and leave the developers in peace :)

Excellent! And further relief could be provided by posting it on the
announce list periodically. That way any of the folks that wanted to
know could subscribe to announce and then woe be it to anyone who posts
here asking "When will ... ?".  >:-)

I'm *hoping* that would be less effort than other options.

Regardless, any kind of additional visibility would impose some
additional load. The Q is do the folks that do the heavy lifting think
it's actually worth the effort?

--
Bill