[CentOS] Adobe Flash Install Woes

Sun Mar 29 20:58:01 UTC 2009
William L. Maltby <CentOS4Bill at triad.rr.com>

On Sun, 2009-03-29 at 15:02 -0500, Lanny Marcus wrote:
> On 3/29/09, William L. Maltby <CentOS4Bill at triad.rr.com> wrote:
> > On Sun, 2009-03-29 at 09:23 -0500, Chuck wrote:
> >> I am having a hell of a time getting adobe flash to work on a recent
> >> 5.2 install.
> <snip>
> >> An rpm check of both firefox and the flash plugin return with no
> >> complaints.
> >>
> <snip>
> > I notice you said in another post that shockwave came default. Here too
> > I guess. But when I test at the site Lanny referenced, it fails for me
> > too. When I try to download, it says I'm not supported. I just wondered
> > if your shockwave works.
>
> I believe, but am not positive, from some reading on the Adobe site,
> that one of their viewers also contains the other one. So, I suspect
> that the one it says is not available for your box or mine is included
> in the one that we do have installed and running.

Yeah, I'm planning on doing a "provides" later to see where it comes
from. That may give a clue as to why it doesn't work now.

> <snip>
>
> > My setup is "box stock" for this stuff, so I don't think you should need
> > to mess with tarballs, source, betas, etc.
> <snip>

> Bill: Do you remember if there is a command one needs to use, to get
> the plugin to work?

You mean for flash player, not shockwave, right?

At my age, only two brain cells function simultaneously! ;-) So of
course I don't remember!

But I do recall that during our lengthy pursuit of similar problems some
folks made suggestions. I suspect that the wrapper is the bit that's
needed.

I've hit the archives and found this. I don't know enough to say if it
is needed. But the suggestion was from the RH triage person (Matej -
suddenly dropped off the thread).

   http://lists.centos.org/pipermail/centos/2008-December/068898.html

I don't think this next is related, but ...

   http://lists.centos.org/pipermail/centos/2008-December/069744.html

> I'm not sure if I had to do that  for Flash or another Firefox Plugin
> or if it was for something else.

The only other think I can think of is to gointo the place in FF where
you manage add-ons and look in the applications area to see that the
flash reader is referenced.

I'm going to start there for the shockwave thingy.

> <snip sig stuff>

HTH
--
Bill