[CentOS] Getting ready for CentOS 5.4

Tue Mar 31 00:21:43 UTC 2009
Ray Van Dolson <rayvd at bludgeon.org>

On Tue, Mar 31, 2009 at 08:13:51AM +0800, Christopher Chan wrote:

> > I really like a lot of things about Solaris.  I dislike a lot of things
> > about it too.. namely, automated installs are annoying (even with
> > JumpStart), and rpm+yum is far superior from a user standpoint than
> > Sun's package -> patchid + 8000 different patch management tools.  pca
> > is the closest thing out there to a simple way to see what should be
> > applied to your system, but just not quite the same.
> >

> the new IPS package manager is okay. Doing image-updates has reasonably
> worked well too.

Haven't tried this at all... if it's "free"[1] I will.  If it's a large
extra cost, I'll stick with PCA :-)

Also, do to the nature of many of the Solaris patches (which require
reboots), the LiveUpgrade feature has been a life-saver.  Not as
necessary in the Linux world, but at least now I can patch my
production servers more easily without scheduling a couple hour sof
downtime. :)

Ray