[CentOS] cross building rpms for 32bit OS

Tue Mar 31 15:58:43 UTC 2009
Bill Campbell <centos at celestial.com>

On Tue, Mar 31, 2009, James B. Byrne wrote:
>My test / development host runs CentOS-5.x x86_64.  There I have
>successfully created an rpm for GiT-1.6.1-1 for x86_64.  Now I would
>like to build the same rpm package for CentOS-5.x i386, but on the
>x86_64 machine.
>
>Is this even possible?  If so, are there any resources that someone
>can refer me too that explains how?

We do this sort of thing using the free VMware server with VMs for the
appropriate 32-bit Linux, Solaris, FreeBSD, etc.  VMs are particularly
useful in development as it is very easy to take a snapshot, experiment,
and revert back to the snapshot if things go Horribly Wrong(tm).

Bill
Fax:            (206) 232-9186

I have no reason to suppose that he, who would take away my Liberty, would
not when he had me in his Power, take away everything else.  John Locke