[CentOS] Server test suite

Russell Miller duskglow at gmail.com
Fri May 1 16:37:52 UTC 2009

On Fri, May 1, 2009 at 9:32 AM, nate <centos at linuxpowered.net> wrote:

> What kinds of things are on the checklist? Perhaps you can use something
> like cfengine or puppet to do this. cfengine essentially runs a checklist
> for me every hour on every system and enforces the rules I have set in
> it(roughly 15,000 lines of configuration).
>
> puppet seems to be the new hot thing though I've not had any time
> or interest to look into it myself cfengine does everything I need.

We do use puppet to configure the systems.  Problem is that there's an
institutional reluctance to run it in that way - it's done right now
as a "push" configuration.  So I would like to find something that can
validate in a read-only way and send alerts when things are a little
off.

While I'm at it, I'd also like something that can keep a database of
all of the packages installed on all of the servers and let me do
queries against it...  don't want to write it if there's already
something out there.

--Russell