[CentOS] 5.3 on an EeePC??

Scott Silva ssilva at sgvwater.com
Mon May 4 22:41:07 UTC 2009

on 5-3-2009 12:02 PM Beartooth spake the following:
> On Mon, 27 Apr 2009 15:20:30 -0500, Ron Blizzard wrote:
> 	[...]
>> I like CentOS better than Debian also but, apparently, the new Ubuntu
>> 9.04 works really well on netbooks.
>>
>> It's here: http://www.ubuntu.com/getubuntu/download-netbook
>
> 	For the record, I went there, got that, burned it to a medium,
> and started an install. It came up with some startlingly strong caveat,
> to the effect that "This will wipe your drive."

So it did warn you...

> 	I took that to be so much more ubuntoid protecting me from
> myself, and went ahead, taking for granted that the installer would give
> me at least one choice which would preserve CentOS.

But it did warn you...

> 	Ba-aa-aadd move. It meant what it said : never gave me any other
> choice of anything, but went ahead and, sure enough, completely trashed
> my CentOS install. After that, the machine ran UNR and only UNR, even
> with thumbsticks in it. I finally ended up running DBAN against it -- and
> am still looking for other, *NON*-ubuntoid distros ...

So if you walk up to a very large fellow with a t-shirt that says, "Touch me
and I will punch you", do you still touch him thinking it is just a possible
outcome?

I personally would take "This will wipe your drive" to mean that my drive will
be wiped of everything, not just some things. That is enough caution for me if
I have something I don't want to lose.