[CentOS] Dev Tools

Greg Bailey gbailey at lxpro.com
Tue May 5 00:05:37 UTC 2009

Jason Todd Slack-Moehrle wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> Cent OS 5.3. I need to install the gcc toolchain, but what yum
> packages is this?
>
> I need to compile ProFTPD, etc, etc. I tried yum install gcc, what else?
>
> -Jason

You could use "yum grouplist" to show available groups:

yum grouplist

Then, use "yum groupinfo" to check on a group that likely provides what
you're looking for:

[root at rover ~]# yum groupinfo "Development Tools"
Loaded plugins: downloadonly, fastestmirror
Setting up Group Process
 * rpmforge: ftp-stud.fht-esslingen.de
 * base: mirrors.versaweb.com
 * updates: mirror.sanctuaryhost.com
 * addons: mirror.hmc.edu
 * extras: mirror.dhsrv.com

Group: Development Tools
automake, gcc, perl, python, and debuggers.
[output truncated]

Sounds like the group you want, so:

yum groupinstall "Development Tools"

should do the trick...