[CentOS] Questions wrt system-config-soundcard

Marko Vojinovic

vvmarko at gmail.com
Mon May 11 15:27:36 UTC 2009

1) What  exactly happens when I press the "reload audio drivers" button? I
want a command-line analogue, so that I can do it remotely, via ssh (and no X
forwarding).

2) How to manually set the order of sound cards and the default one, again
using only command line, as I would do in the GUI of system-config-soundcard?

3) Why don't the settings made there stick? I have three to four sound devices
(two pci and one or two usb, depending on what is plugged in), and on every
reboot cards tend to get shuffled and the wrong one is typically the default.

3) Is there maybe a system-config-soundcard-tui or something equivalent which
would make my life easier and make the first two questions obsolete?

4) Why there is no man page for system-config-soundcard?

I would really appreciate some help with this. CentOS 5.3, if it matters.

Best, :-)
Marko