[CentOS] CentOS 5.2 nVidia GeForce 7300GS resolution problem

William L. Maltby CentOS4Bill at triad.rr.com
Mon May 11 20:50:03 UTC 2009

On Mon, 2009-05-11 at 21:25 +0100, Dick Holland wrote:
> <snip>

> The xorg.conf looks OK to me (but I'm a bit of a noob really). I'll
> check it against the other system (which is Fedora 9).
>
> I have Googled quite extensively and found no help - but thanks for your
> very prompt suggestions, Bill.

The important thing to check is the xorg.conf. You will see some mode
lines. If you manually edit the same mode lines from the Fedora system
into the CentOS one, it should work identically, barring any bugs in the
underlying drivers.

There is other information that might also be applicable, monitor, etc.
That should also work if you apply those types of things.

There may be some differences in the drivers that may or may not be
significant. I don't recall the CentOS drivers version (rpm -q
<whatever> will tell you), but if it looks unsuitable, there's also some
on rpmforge that support both some of the newer and also drivers for
some of the older Nvidia cards. I've been using the rpm for the older
one for some time.

Also, there's been some recent traffic on the mailing list about the
kmod (IIRC) instatiated version of some of the nvidia drivers. Using a
google advanced search for site centos with all the words nvidia, kmod
and video should get you some more info if you end up needing it.

BTW, I'm a tyro at this stuff, so if I've mentioned any FUD, hopefully
one of the more knowledgeable folks will jump in and correct me.

HTH
--
Bill