[CentOS] LVM, SATA controllers and BIOS devices

Robert Heller heller at deepsoft.com
Tue May 12 17:10:20 UTC 2009

> On May 12, 2009, at 11:28 AM, William L. Maltby wrote:
>
> > For the OP's situation, might need to search a little further to get
> > the same results. But I think it's surely something in the initrd,
> > even
> > if the driver is the same.
>
> OK, so two hits on initrd, I'll go and read up on that.
>
> Just to be clear, it could still be an initrd issue even if the card
> was working with one drive attached?

Yes.  You 'got away' with it when you set it up because the driver
modules, etc. where loaded into the running system during the set it
process.  When you rebooted, the driver modules, etc. were not loaded
or other aspects of the run time environment were not set up.  Updating
the initrd would make sure that the run time environment is properly
initialized early in the boot up process, whether this means loading
driver modules or performing other sorts of set up procedues (such as
scanning for LVM volumes).