[CentOS] CentOS 5.3 installation on HP DL380 R05 server

Nguyen Hai Chau

chau at nhchau.com
Wed May 13 02:34:39 UTC 2009

Hi All

I will need to install CentOS 5.3 on HP DL380 R05 server with RAID-1
required. I am a newbie to CentOS / HP servers, need your help:

-          Does CentOS 5.3 work smoothly with HP DL380 server especially
recognizing SAS disks and hardware RAID-1 features? From you experience, do
you have to use HP Storage Drivers provided for RedHat Enterprise Linux 5?

-          How is HP hardware RAID-1's performance? Should I use HP's
hardware RAID or software RAID in this case?

Thanks a lot and looking forward to your answers.

Chau

My server configuration:

HP DL380R05 E5420 2GB Base AP Server
(1) Quad-Core IntelR XeonR Processor E5420
Two Embedded NC373i Multifunction Gigabit / 2 GB (2 x 1 GB) PC2-5300 Fully
Buffered DIMMs (DDR2-667)/HP Smart Array P400/256MB Controller /Rack
(2U)/Hot Plug Fully Redundant Fans Standard
Two HP 146GB 10k 2.5 SAS HP SP HDD
HP 1000W IEC C14 Cord RPS Kit