[CentOS] can non-owner change file group setup?

John R Pierce pierce at hogranch.com
Wed May 13 15:01:15 UTC 2009

nate wrote:
> Scott Silva wrote:
>

>> But if you only have read access to the original file, can you overwrite it?
>>

> If you have write access to the directory yes you should be able
> to, if you only have read access to the directory I would expect
> not.

nope.

[pierce at xxxx test]$ grep pierce /etc/group
postgres:x:26:pierce
pierce:x:503:
[pierce at xxxx test]$ touch x
[pierce at xxxx  test]$ ls -la
total 8
drwxrwxr-x  2 pierce pierce 4096 May 13 07:58 .
drwxr-xr-x 37 pierce root   4096 May 13 07:57 ..
-rw-rw-r--  1 pierce pierce    0 May 13 07:58 x
[pierce at xxxx test]$ chgrp postgres x
chgrp: changing group of `x': Operation not permitted