[CentOS] Kickstart hang trying to install CentOS 5.3

Alfred von Campe

alfred at von-campe.com
Thu May 14 14:30:01 UTC 2009

I've been using kickstart successfully with a local mirror going back
to CentOS 4.X.  I'm trying to install CentOS 5.3 via kickstart on a
new system (which happens to be different than most other systems
I've installed on), and the install process always hangs shortly
after the partitions are created.  If I go to the alternate console
#3, the last two lines are always this (except that the time stamp
changes every time I try it of course):

   10:06:18 DEBUG:  Member xorg-x11-drv-i128-1.2.0-4 - u
   10:06:18 DEBUG:  Adding Package xorg-x11-drv-i128-1.2.0-4.i386 in
mode u

This is preceded by hundreds of similar lines for other packages, but
it always hangs at xorg-x11-drv-i128-1.2.0-4.  I am currently out of
other systems to test/install this on.  Instead of the usual
ThinkCentre mini tower, this system is a ThinkCentre pizza box.  I've
installed CentOS on this type of hardware before without problems,
but it hangs on the only two systems I currently have.

It's possible that there is something wrong with my local mirror, but
I rsync it every night and this problem has been going on for a few
days.  I will try to install this on a mini tower to rule out any
hardware compatibility issues, but in the mean time, I'm looking for
suggestions on how to debug this.  I've booted into Linux rescue mode
after power cycling the system after it hung to look at whatever did
get installed, but there are no useful log files.

Alfred