[CentOS] Dealing with brute force attacks

Bill Campbell centos at celestial.com
Thu May 14 15:48:36 UTC 2009

On Thu, May 14, 2009, James B. Byrne wrote:
>Over the weekend one of our servers at a remote location was
>hammered by an IP originating in mainland China.  This attack was
>only noteworthy in that it attempted to connect to our pop3 service.

You might look at fail2ban which can automatically create
iptables blocks when things like this happen.

Bill
Fax:            (206) 232-9186  Skype: jwccsllc (206) 855-5792

Manual, n.:
	A unit of documentation.  There are always three or more on a
	given item.  One is on the shelf; someone has the others.  The
	information you need is in the others.
		-- Ray Simard