[CentOS] Subversion causing Apache to hog memory

Neil Aggarwal

neil at JAMMConsulting.com
Fri May 15 23:22:54 UTC 2009

Hello:

I posted this to the subversion list yesterday and have
not received a reponse.  I am hoping someone on this
list will be able to help me.

I have a CentOS 5 server running subversion 1.5.6-0.2.el5.rf
installed using yum from the rpmforge repository.

I am using svnsync to mirror from another repository to
the local machine.  It is called from a cron job every 5 minutes.

After a few days of running fine, I started getting this error
from cron:

svnsync: DAV request failed; it's possible that the repository's
pre-revprop-change hook either failed or is non-existent
svnsync: At least one property change failed; repository is unchanged
svnsync: Error setting property 'sync-lock':
Failed to start '/usr/local/svn/MyProject/hooks/pre-revprop-change' hook

Looking in /var/log/httpd/error_log, I see this:

Could not execute PROPPATCH.  [500, #206]
Failed to start '/usr/local/svn/MyProject/hooks/pre-revprop-change' hook
[500, #165001]
Can't start process '/usr/local/svn/MyProject/hooks/pre-revprop-change':
Cannot allocate memory  [500, #12]

Looking at top, the machine has allocated all of the RAM available.

When I stop httpd, the RAM comes back.

I rebooted the machine and ran top in a shell.
I then issued the svnsync command in another shell.
I can see the memory usage going up each time I run the svnsync command
but it does not seem to come down even after leaving the machine idle for
a while.
If I then stop httpd, the memory comes back.

It looks like svnsync is somehow causing apache to hog memory.

Any ideas?

Thanks,
	Neil

Eliminate junk email and reclaim your inbox.
Visit http://www.spammilter.com for details.