[CentOS] Shell Script Pointers?

Eric Sisolak haldir.junk at gmail.com
Wed May 20 02:06:17 UTC 2009

On Thu, May 14, 2009 at 1:31 AM, James Bensley <jwbensley at gmail.com> wrote:

> > if you're already going to the effort of downloading the entire
> > blacklist every night, why not dump the old database, and just insert
> > the newly downloaded one?
>
> Because we also add our own entries to the current blacklist so we are
> just adding any new entries from the nightly updates of our blacklist
> provides
>
> >> tar -cxf blacklist.tar
> >
> > this will suck your computer into a vortex of doom. I recommend either
> > creating a tarball, or extracting one, but not both at the same time. :)
>
> Its ok the blacklist is text so its a 10mb tarball of text. Takes
> about 30 seconds to download and it will take about 2 minutes for the
> script to run ;)
>
> > In all honesty, you might be better targeting this query to squidGuard
> > users, as this may be something they do regularly.
>
> Should be simple text manipulation :( none the less a good idea I will
> post my question there. Thanks!

Why have you custom black list separate?  Then when doing updates,
remove the current list, concatenate the update with the custom and
then put that in place.

This would presumably make it easier for you to manage your custom
stuff, but still be up to date.

Also you could try

for FOLDER in `find /usr/local/squidGuard/db -maxdepth 1 -type d`; do

instead of
find /usr/local/squidGuard/db -maxdepth 1 -type d | while read FOLDER; do

--
Eric