[CentOS] Auto-installing security updates?

Scott Silva ssilva at sgvwater.com
Wed May 20 16:15:15 UTC 2009

on 5-20-2009 6:14 AM Lanny Marcus spake the following:
> On Wed, May 20, 2009 at 6:20 AM, Equinox86 <equinox86-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org> wrote:
>> yes centos is not for desktop it's guaranteee, if you don't have much time
>> and want a distro updated at last release, if you have much time to spend to
>> recompile dependences i advice use slackware, is fast and desktop friendly,
>> similar to swiss knife.
>>
>> but if you have a server, probably best choice is centos.
>
> Slackware on the Desktop? We have been using CentOS on our Desktops
> for several years. It is more complicated than Ubuntu (which I've
> never used, but is probably ready to go out of the box, with
> Multimedia running,  but with a short life) or Fedora (which I have
> used, with excellent to bad results, depending on the release),
> because the Multimedia stuff needs to be added, etc. But the
> stability, security and long life make CentOS a winner, if it will run
> on the HW the person has. Probably not the best distro for Laptops,
> but many people on this list are using CentOS on their laptops.
It depends on the laptop. Consumer laptops are like the consumer distros. They
use the latest hardware and have driver problems. Enterprise laptops are
usually designed like servers. Non-cutting edge hardware built for long life
and ruggedness instead of appealing to every new gadget that comes out. You
have to decide what you want before you buy.