[CentOS] Random server reboot after update to CentOS 5.3

William L. Maltby CentOS4Bill at triad.rr.com
Thu May 21 18:30:42 UTC 2009

On Thu, 2009-05-21 at 20:07 +0200, Ralph Angenendt wrote:
> Lanny Marcus wrote:
> > It would have been helpful, if the error message told you which system
> > software.  :-)   The Upgrade from 5.2 to 5.2 seems to have been
> > problematic for some people on this list.  When you did the Upgrade,
> > did you follow this sequence, per the CentOS 5.3 Release Notes?
> > yum clean all && yum update glibc\* && yum update
> > If not, that may or may not have anything to do with the reboots and
> > error messages you have received.
>
> No, it would not have to do anything with the spontaneous reboots. The
> problem with glibc only concerns rpm, as the release notes clearly state.

Since nobody else mentioned it to th OP, ...

Let us not forget that often the hardware chooses to act up around the
same time that some kind of (software) upgrade is performed. I've wasted
a lot of time in the past *assuming* that because the hardware was
rock-solid in the past, it must have been some change (I made) to the
software.

I suggest running diagnostics, or manually re-seating everything
(especially if you had occasion to move the unit or open it recently).

Memory used to age, does it still? Memtest*86 might be in order.

> Ralph
> <snip sig stuff>

HTH
--