[CentOS] Send syslog to a remote server

hce webmail.hce at gmail.com
Fri May 22 01:48:51 UTC 2009

On Fri, May 22, 2009 at 12:59 AM, Dag Wieers <dag at centos.org> wrote:
> On Wed, 20 May 2009, nate wrote:
>
>> hce wrote:
>>
>>> I am running CentOS 5 and I tried to config flowing statement in
>>> syslog.conf to send syslog messages to a remote server running on FC
>>> 9, but it did not work. There was nothing send to the FC9.
>>>
>>> "*.info;mail.none;authpriv.none;cron.none                @@192.168.1.5"
>>>
>>> Could anyone advice whether the syslog in CentOS 5 does not support
>>> remote server, or I could be missing something?
>>
>> Try just one @ instead of two?
>
> The double @ is for using tcp/514 instead of udp/514, which is more
> reliable. But you need to configure it correctly on the server to make
> sure it accepts the traffic. The rsyslog.conf manpage has some info, the
> documentation in /usr/share/doc/rsyslog contains the details.

The rsyslog.conf in FC 9 is much easy to be configured, just enable
the InputTCPServerRun and ModLoad. It is not the problem in FC 9
rsyslog server, it is the problem in CentOS syslog, no messages
sending to FC9 when I checked with tcpdump on port 514 on FC9.

Has anyone made CentOS 5 syslog work to send messages to remote syslog
server? Or, I am wondering if it has never worked on CentOS 5?

Thanks Dag and all responses.

Kind regards,

jupiter