[CentOS] Random server reboot after update to CentOS 5.3

JohnS jses27 at gmail.com
Fri May 22 09:31:25 UTC 2009

On Fri, 2009-05-22 at 09:44 +0200, Peter Hopfgartner wrote:
<snip>

> Would it make sense to install the kernel from CentOS 5.2? Any
> contraindications?
>
> Regards,
>
> Peter
---
Now why in the world would you want to do that??? You running 5.3 as per
your earlier post and your uname shows you running the Xen Kernel.
Always run the newest kernel *unless* there are very good reasons not to
and I do not see that for your situation. Use the latest 5.3 NON Xen
Kernel to test it with.

My sejustion is unplug everything hooked to it but the power and network
cabling. Open it up while it is running, and shake the cables lightly
( don't jerk on them). External disk array, unplug it also. USB floppies
and cd drives unplug emmm all.

Is it under a heavy load? High cpu usage? Some times when there is a
power supply on the verge of dying you don't really know until disk I/O
climbs real high thus pulling loads of wattage. Pentium 4 and up cpus
are bad about this also.

Run memtest86 for a few hours not just a min or two and say ahh it's ok.
It takes time. Is there gaps in your log files like white space?
Hardware raid controller updated to latest firmware release? Ok I guess
others can tack onto my list here as well.I wouldn't get to discouraged
because sometimes it can take days to find the problem.