[CentOS] Video on (video-capable digital) still camera not accessible

Jeff jlar310 at gmail.com
Fri May 22 18:49:12 UTC 2009

On Fri, May 22, 2009 at 1:00 PM, MHR <mhullrich at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Fri, May 22, 2009 at 10:33 AM, Scott Silva <ssilva at sgvwater.com> wrote:
>>
>> Renaming a file does not change its makeup. Just because you rename a .vob
>> file to .jpg, doesn't make it a jpeg. It just makes it a mis-named vob file.
>>

> Realizing this, I would love to have the opportunity to rename the
> files (they're .mov files - quicktime format, I believe), but the
> problem is that they don't show up in the Import Photos app, and
> they're otherwise (so far) completely inaccessible.
>
> I tried using my card reader again (I may have said this already), but
> the "drives" won't mount (the reader shows up as 2 drives - CF and MM,
> which is similar to SD) under CentOS, and my WinXP guest also can't do
> anything with them - XP recognizes that <something> is there, but
> nothing shows up in the explorer (or My Computer), and all I can do is
> dismount the <blank> <something>s.
>
> I _can_ play the videos on the camera, but when I try to do that while
> connected to the computer, the camera blanks out and powers off.  I
> even tried to dd from /dev/sdd and /dev/sdd1 (based on the dmesg
> output), and it says there's no such file.  I put in fresh batteries -
> nothing.

Indeed, file names and formats are a bit off the mark if you can't
even mount the drive.

Have you tried connecting to a completely different PC? Maybe your USB
port or motherboard is flaky or some other hardware problem is getting
you. If you know it's not a problem with the camera or card, then you
can focus on your PC issues.

I recently had an SD card that I could not access in my card reader.
Windows thought that it needed to be formatted, but it worked just
fine in the camera. And it had always worked fine in the card reader
too before that incident. I had to connect directly to the camera with
USB to download my pictures just that one time. I got lucky. Sadly,
that solution did not work for you. But the point is that just because
it works within the confines of the camera, does not guarantee that
everything is hunky dory with the camera or the card. The camera's
built-in firmware is probably not as strict about device and file
system standards.

Try a completely different PC, and if that doesn't work, you need to
call Canon. If it does work, then start checking out different USB
devices and flash cards on your computer to try to pinpoint the issue.
Heck, sometimes one USB port works and another doesn't. Have  you
tried different ports yet?

Jeff