[CentOS] madwifi not working for 5.2 x64

Michael A. Peters mpeters at mac.com
Mon May 25 10:18:19 UTC 2009

Michael A. Peters wrote:
> Dag Wieers wrote:
>> On Fri, 10 Apr 2009, sumit agarwal wrote:
>>
>>> i installed madwifi on 5.2 x64 but it dosent seem to be working
>>> any clues?
>> For people with madwifi issues or looking for a better solution to Atheros
>> support, the elrepo repository is tesing new backported ath5k drivers that
>> Red Hat is preparing for RHEL 5.4. We think we have fixed all known
>> issues, but to help us with improved Atheros support in CentOS 5.4 we need
>> to make sure Red Hat ships something that works across all boards.
>>
>> So if you have an Atheros chipset and want to help test the newer ath5k
>> driver, go to:
>>
>>      http://elrepo.org/linux/testing/el5/i386/RPMS/
>> or  http://elrepo.org/linux/testing/el5/x86_64/RPMS/
>>
>> and try the kmod-ath5k and kmod-mac80211 packages for your kernel. (First
>> remove the madwifi driver though, to make sure there is no interference a
>> reboot may help too).
>>

> I'll test it on my i386 for sure.
> Mine is AT&T Plug-n-share

Works - but the lights are different.
The "Act" and "Link" like use to alternate when looking for a network,
and blink together when connected (madwifi) - not the Act light is off
and the Link light Link light is solid.

But the driver seems to work (i386)

02:00.0 Ethernet controller: Atheros Communications Inc. Atheros
AR5001X+ Wireless Network Adapter (rev 01)