[CentOS] {SOLVED} Re: OT: SMART warning on hard drive, same warning for 2 1 /2 years

Lanny Marcus

Mon May 25 18:43:31 UTC 2009

> My wife's box has a very intermittent problem,  when booting from the
> Maxtor IDE hard drive. This has been going on for about 2 1/2
> years.... The box is a Compaq EVO D300v for the Enterprise. When it
> boots, there is a SMART advisory from the BIOS that says failure is
> immenient. Occasionally, it will not boot, because the BIOS does not
> see the hard drive.  I replaced the EIDE cable, but  the problem of

After I posted this yesterday, I turned my wife loose on her computer
and it choked. Possibly a coincidence, after receiving SMART warnings
for a couple of years, and it was ready to die. Thought I had 2 used
hard drives, in perfect condition, but the first one I installed
turned out to be DOA and now the other one is installed..   :-)

Thanks to everyone who replied. As Mark (MHR) wrote, I too was
skeptical of the SMART warnings from the BIOS and when I checked on
the Compaq Support site, a couple of years ago, I was told the Compaq
BIOS is very sensitive and there are a lot of false warnings. However,
after checking the bad hard drive with smartctl yesterday, I am a
believer in SMART warnings....