[CentOS] resolving names it is really slow slow with CentOS5.x using named

carlopmart carlopmart at gmail.com
Mon May 25 21:02:17 UTC 2009

Les Mikesell wrote:
> carlopmart wrote:

>>> That's not where the problem is. Since you are working with forwarding
>>> on, the problem has to be when you try to go directly to the internet
>>> over UDP so it would be at the firewall or border router.  When DNS
>>> fails, it will retry with TCP and that might be why it eventually works.
>> That's not possible, because firewall only permits DNS querys over UDP ...
>
> I'd advise following the standards.  If the response won't fit in a udp
> packet, it has to fail over to tcp.
>
>>>    Is there anything in the path to the internet that needs a lower MTU
>>> (perhaps a DNS line running PPOE)?  Or do you have jumbo packets enabled
>>> on your Gig NIC?
>> No, but firewalls have a mtu configured with 1450 on external interfaces ...
>
> Why?

Because It is a DSL line and cause errors using VPN connections if mtu it is 1500

>>   And if you do need a small MTU, do you have firewalls
>>> blocking the ICMP messages that are required to discover that automatically?
>> Yes, ICMP messages are blocked on firewall, but are blocked for all hosts:
>> centos dns servers, ubuntu servers, windows servers ... i don't understand why
>> using Ubuntu or windows servers to resolve names works ok and with centos (and
>> with either rhel5. I have just check it) doesn't ...
>
> The 'dig' response might give you a hint.  But if all other network
> operations work OK, I'd still guess it is a firewall setting that you
> are missing.

ok, tested using dig:

[root at thranduil data]# dig www.mysql.com

; <<>> DiG 9.3.4-P1 <<>> www.mysql.com
;; global options:  printcmd
[root at thranduil data]# dig www.mysql.com

; <<>> DiG 9.3.4-P1 <<>> www.mysql.com
;; global options:  printcmd
;; Got answer:
;; flags: qr rd ra; QUERY: 1, ANSWER: 1, AUTHORITY: 4, ADDITIONAL: 0

;; QUESTION SECTION:
;www.mysql.com.                 IN      A

;; ANSWER SECTION:
www.mysql.com.          3600    IN      A       213.136.52.29

;; AUTHORITY SECTION:
mysql.com.              3600    IN      NS      ns1.sun.com.
mysql.com.              3600    IN      NS      ns2.sun.com.
mysql.com.              3600    IN      NS      ns7.sun.com.
mysql.com.              3600    IN      NS      ns8.sun.com.

;; Query time: 3326 msec
;; SERVER: 127.0.0.1#53(127.0.0.1)
;; WHEN: Mon May 25 22:52:20 2009
;; MSG SIZE  rcvd: 123

  I have opened 53/tcp and udp/53 on the firewall and the results are the same
... But I don't understand why only centos has this problems ... i think that I
do some mistake on some configuration but i don't know where ....

--
CL Martinez
carlopmart {at} gmail {d0t} com