[CentOS] resolving names it is really slow slow with CentOS5.x using named

Scott Ehrlich srehrlich at gmail.com
Mon May 25 23:52:18 UTC 2009

On Mon, May 25, 2009 at 5:23 PM, carlopmart <carlopmart at gmail.com> wrote:
> Victor Padro wrote:
>>

>> On Mon, May 25, 2009 at 4:05 PM, carlopmart <carlopmart at gmail.com
>> <mailto:carlopmart at gmail.com>> wrote:
>>
>>     RobertH wrote:
>>      > ive read most of the thread, yet not all. forgive me as i might
>>     have missed
>>      > some of this below in helping...
>>      >
>>      > carlopmart,
>>      >
>>      > what is in your /etc/resolv.conf
>>
>>     search hpulabs.org <http://hpulabs.org>
>>     nameserver 127.0.0.1
>>
>>      >
>>      > is it configured correctly?
>>      >
>>      > are you using ipv6?
>>
>>     no.
>>
>>      >
>>      > if not, is it fully disabled / turned off?
>>      >
>>      > in modprobe.conf put
>>      >
>>      > alias net-pf-10 off
>>      > alias ipv6 off
>>
>>     I have configured this previously ..
>>

>>      >
>>      > reboot...
>>      >
>>      > also, are you loading those other opsys on the same machine and
>>     getting good
>>      > results or different machines?
>>
>>     I have good results using different operating systems but using same
>>     hardware ..
>>

>>      >
>>      > testing other opsys on different hardware could be problematic.
>>      >
>>      > did you bother to check the physical ports to see if any problems
>>     in the
>>      > switch or with ethtool on the server interface ?
>>
>>     No, I didn't do it because i have good results using other opsys ...
>>      >
>>      > thoughtfully consinder following advise of others re: tcp and dns
>>      >
>>      > cables...
>>      >
>>      >  - rh
>>      >
>>      > _______________________________________________
>>      > CentOS mailing list
>>      > CentOS at centos.org <mailto:CentOS at centos.org>
>>      >
>>

>>     --
>>     CL Martinez
>>     carlopmart {at} gmail {d0t} com
>>

>> Have you double checked your SELinux config?
>
> SeLinux is disabled on both CentOS servers ...

For what it is worth, you may want to double-check via chkconfig.   I
once told initial configuration of a CentOS box to disable SELinux,
only to discover chkconfig still had it enabled.   As soon as I told
chkconfig to disable it, it was off.

Same for the firewall.  During initial config, turned it off.
chkconfig revealed it was on.
I manually told chkconfig ip6tables off and iptables off, and only
then did it stick.

It is worth double-checking these things - a simple chkconfig
--list|grep :on to see what services are on they you may _not_ want
on, and maybe, conversely, chkconfig --list|grep :off to check
disabled services you may _want_ on.

Scott