[CentOS] IBM ServeRAID Manager software

Les Mikesell lesmikesell at gmail.com
Thu May 28 15:26:31 UTC 2009

Drew wrote:
> Hi there,
>
> I'm in the process of installing Centos 5.2 on an IBM x236 w/
> ServeRAID 7k I recently acquired to act as a samba file server. The
> hardware has all passed various stress tests I could throw at it so
> we're okay there.
>
> My question is. Has anyone had any luck getting the latest IBM
> ServeRAID Manager v9.0 working in CentOS? If so how?
>
> ServeRAID Manager is based off Adaptec's Storage Manager and I'm
> encountering two errors.
>
> The first relates to the login. It asks me for my username & password
> then throws a java.lang.UnsatisfiedLinkError: authenticateUser error.
> I've tried it with both Sun Java 1.4 & 1.6 and the same error both
> times. There's also supposed to be a file /etc/pam.d/storman created
> according to the docs but nowhere in the rpm file or on the web can I
> find out what the contents of the file are supposed to look like.
>
> The second error, is after I hit cancel (which logs me in as guest),
> the software says no raid controller exists, which is of course
> incorrect.
>
> As a side note, I've already tried googling the problem, visiting
> Adaptec's site, and visiting IBM's support & developerworks sites. The
> support site's are useless and developerworks keeps spitting out HTTP
> 50x errors.

I have version 8.30 installed on some 336 servers and it seems to work
fine - and I can run it on one box and access the others from the same
interface.  As I recall, I just did an rpm install from a cd that came
with one of the machines  - or maybe a later 3550 and it installed its
own JVM and a shell script to start itself.  I haven't actually used it
for anything but looking at the disk status since the volumes were set
up with the bios tools, but the authentication and everything works at
least up to that point.  I don't see anything special under /etc/pam.d
but maybe that's new in 9.0.

--
   Les Mikesell
    lesmikesell at gmail.com