[CentOS] DR Server for Windows Machines

Robert Heller heller at deepsoft.com
Fri May 29 21:19:36 UTC 2009

> I need to setup a CentOS box offsite to have a series of files replicated to it.
> My problem is this machine won't have Samba on it but I need to replicate the
> hierarchy in question in such a manner that I can restore from it and retain
> file system permissions.
>
> That's where I am stumped, anyone got any ideas?

Get a port of GNU Tar for MS-Windows and install it and a SSH client on the
Windows Machines.  Use GNU Tar + SSH to ship the files.  GNU Tar will
preserve the file permissions.  Once the tar files land on the remote
(offsite box), unpack the tar file(s) to the local disk.

For the more adventurous, install Cygwin on the Windows machinesand
then you can fire up a bash shell and do:

tar czvf - -C local-path file ... | ssh remotebox tar xzvf - -C path-on-remote-box

To restore:

ssh remotebox tar czvf - -C path-on-remote-box .|tar xzvf - -C local-path