[CentOS] DR Server for Windows Machines

Ross Walker rswwalker at gmail.com
Sat May 30 04:22:27 UTC 2009

On May 29, 2009, at 7:49 PM, "Joseph L. Casale" <JCasale at activenetwerx.com
 > wrote:

>> http://setacl.sourceforge.net/
>
> Yeah, I thought of using the MS reskit utils as I have logon
> scripts which already make use of them and through those I see
> you can backup acls to a txt file but the thought of restoring
> some of the data and then selectively applying a backed up acl
> would be cumbersome :(
>
> This isn’t looking easy. I *could* setup Samba on te remote
> server and establish a vpn but I have to say all my experiences
> with Samba have been less than what I would consider, enterprisable
> and that could very well be my simple extreme lack of knowledge
> with it.

I know it isn't CentOS related, but OpenSolaris has a CIFS server and
ZFS has native support for Windows ACLs, maybe that will work?

Otherwise you could use iSCSI as a possibility which would allow you
to do block level incremental/differential backups with the right
software package.

Depends on connectivity and requirements.

-Ross