[CentOS] apache slow on lan transfers?

Sat May 2 02:30:26 UTC 2009
Gordon McLellan <gordonthree at gmail.com>

When I download a file from apache on the lan (gigabit lan), I only
get 3-4mbps of download speed, opposed to accessing the file via FTP
or SMB which results in 500+ mbps of transfer speed.  As far as I
know, I'm running the stock apache (httpd) that is distributed with
centos 5.3, and haven't changed anything in the config file with the
exception of setting up various virtual directories.

I'm hoping someone can give me pointers on what I need to search for
to research this problem.  Apache + slow + lan isn't really getting me
anywhere.  The apache process itself on the server doesn't even
register 1% of cpu usage, and iowait is 0%

All suggestions are appreciated,

Gordon