[CentOS] Upgrade mail server to new machine

Thu May 7 13:37:57 UTC 2009
Thom Paine <painethom at gmail.com>

> if local users copy /home/* /etc/passwd /etc/shadow after first making sure
> there are no dupes on new system
>
> as for mail - what format is tha mail box in?
>
> maybe as simple as copying /var/spool/something
>
> personally i like to use rsync for this as it keeps perms well if you ask it
> to - your tool of choice is your call though

I have no users on this box as of yet. It is a clean install of CentOS
5.3. The server only does email, as we have another server for domain
control. I had thought I could just copy /home/* /etc/shadow and
/etc/passwd and /var/spool/mail. Does it matter which file I copy
first? Should I do passwd and shadow first? then do home, and leave
/var/spool/mail to last?

If I do it this way, will it keep all my users passwords as well?

Thanks.
--
-=/>Thom