[CentOS] File compare word by word

Wed May 13 22:02:41 UTC 2009
MHR <mhullrich at gmail.com>

Is there a utility that compares files word by word, instead of whole
lines or single bytes?

I found that I can simulate this by replacing all the spaces in a file
with linefeeds, then 'diff -B' the results, but that's kind of awkward
and hard to read when differences that matter come up.

(For the record, I tried using OOo's document comparer, converting to
text and using diff, and a few others, but none of them worked.  I
used to think that running text files through fmt would help, but fmt
is strangely inconsistent as to where it breaks lines, even when the
content within a line or two is identical.)

Thanks.

mhr