[CentOS] URL of website doesn't point anymore to CentOS/Drupal installation

Sat May 16 22:36:00 UTC 2009
M. Fioretti <mfioretti at nexaima.net>

sorry for the vague subject, but I couldn't find a better one.

I have the website http://digifreedom.net running on a Centos 4 VPS
with Apache and Drupal 6.10 . This is a multisite Drupal setup: only
one installation, with subdirectories in sites/, and a separate mysql
database for each website. For several reasons, I had setup DNS,
drupal and everything to work without the www prefix on domain
names. In other words, http://digifreedom.net is OK,
www.digifreedom.net was never used.

Everything worked perfectly for months, if not years. Five minutes
ago, somebody wrote to me that a digifreedom.net URL I suggested him
to read "doesn't work".

I checked, and what happens now is that, if I type
http://digifreedom.net/node/82 the browser is immediately redirected
to www.digifreedom.net/node/82, which (of course) returns an error
message:

"Firefox can't find the server at www.digifreedom.net"

That error message is OK, because I had NOT set up DNS and apache to
answer to that address. What I don't get is why http://digifreedom.net
now becomes www.digifreedom.net. I haven't changed anything myself in
DNS, drupal or apache config for many weeks, so why all of a sudden
something started to behave differently?

The weirdest thing is that this "forced redirection" from example.com
to www.example.com happens with some, but not all of the other domains
configured in the same way and running on the same server off the same
Apache/Drupal installation!

How can I find, at least, which piece of the puzzle is responsible for
this problem? I am aware that probably this isn't even a centos issue,
I just need a pointer in the right direction.

TIA,
	Marco

software is used *around* you:            http://digifreedom.net/node/84