[CentOS] lacie drive and CentOS 5.3 question...

Mon May 25 18:17:30 UTC 2009
Ray Van Dolson <rayvd at bludgeon.org>

I'm adding a couple lacie external USB drives to my CentOS 5.3 system
and running into a few issues... when I connect them, I see the
following in dmesg:

  usb 1-1: new high speed USB device using ehci_hcd and address 11

And that's it.  No device assignment information, the usb-storage
module does not appear to be loaded and I am unable to access the
drive.

I do see the following in lsusb:

  Bus 001 Device 011: ID 0451:6250 Texas Instruments, Inc.

I'm assuming the kernel or udev doesn't know what to do with the given
device ID and isn't correctly mapping it to the usb-storage module (I
have manually loaded usb-storage with modprobe usb-storage prior to
attaching the device).

I found a post describing how to manually map a vendor id / device id
to usb-storage, but it has to do with the old hotplug system from
CentOS 4.

Can anyone advise me on how I can tell my system the above device is a
mass storage device?  Do I need to write some udev rules?

These drives work fine (automatically) on a Fedora 10 machine.  Also, I
am using the "plus" kernel on my CentOS machine.

Thanks,
Ray