[CentOS] Inotify or equivalent

Fri May 1 19:08:07 UTC 2009
Bill Campbell <centos at celestial.com>

On Fri, May 01, 2009, Joseph L. Casale wrote:
>I installed inotify and incrond to watch a directory and set the
>job as '/mnt/dir IN_ATTRIB chmod 0660 $@/$#' which worked very well
>except that as expected, IN_ATTRIB is to broad of a watch class as it
>caused an enormous amount of contention with the filemonitor and/or
>db server and the client side app was less than happy. Not to mention
>top showed it working away like mad...
>
>Is there any way to look for permission changes only, or something else
>that might work?

Are you looking for real-time changes, or would an intrusion
detection system such as aide or tripwire be sufficient?

Bill
Fax:            (206) 232-9186  Skype: jwccsllc (206) 855-5792

Only government can take perfectly good paper, cover it with perfectly good
ink and make the combination worthless.  -- Milton Friedman