[CentOS] fs for > 16 TiB partition

Wed May 6 09:27:27 UTC 2009
Bent Terp <bent at nagstrup.dk>

On Wed, May 6, 2009 at 10:48 AM, Adrian Sevcenco
<Adrian.Sevcenco at cern.ch> wrote:
> Hi,
> What would you recommend as an FS for an partition greater than 16 TiB?
> This is for an production server (that is, no ext4 recommendations
> please :) )
> What experiences did you had with your preferred FS ? (good and not so
> good points)

We've got a 110 TB xfs system in production based on a logical volume
striped over 9 boxes of SATA disk, works like a charm with great
throughput as we stripe over 3 controllers :-)

Only whoopsie in 18+ months was when we recently added 3 more disk
boxes and I grew the filesystem. First attempt xfs_grow only added a
fraction of the available space. Second attempt gave a kernel panic.
Reboot and everything was fine with all space available.

Lesson learned: don't use xfs_grow unless you're in the general
vicinity of the server ;-)

regards,
  Bent