[CentOS] fs for > 16 TiB partition

Wed May 6 09:36:03 UTC 2009
Timo Schoeler <timo.schoeler at riscworks.net>

tthus Rainer Duffner spake:
| Adrian Sevcenco schrieb:
|> Rainer Duffner wrote:

|>> Does anybody actually run such a thing on Linux?
|>>
|> We will ..
|
| That's not what I was asking ;-)
|

|> 2 X RAID6 each with 12 drives (24 drives machine)
|> with 2 TB drives .. that is 20 TBs each volume
|>

|>> How long does a FSCK take once it's 80% populated?
|>>
|> i strongly hope that i will never know :))
|>

| It will fsck every n'th reboot anyway, or after so-and-so many days
| without fsck, after a reboot.
|
|> it have 2 redundant PSU each on different ups ...
|>

|>> How much RAM does that need?
|>>
|> minimal .. is an storage only machine so 4 GB is enough as the
|> connection is only GigE
|>

| I asked about the FSCK.
| Usually, it requires some RAM, too.
|

|>> The FSCK on my Virtuozzo-partition takes long enough - and it's only 500
|>> GB or so.
|>>
|> Even for home its efficient to have an ups for each machine..
|>

| It's running in a datacenter with UPSs. But once I reboot it, it it's
| the "fsck-every-n-days" thing.
|
| I don't think it's a good idea to disable that behaviour.
|

| Rainer

To shorten the fsck discussion with XFS (quoting the man page):

fsck.xfs(8)

NAME
~       fsck.xfs - do nothing, successfully

SYNOPSIS
~       fsck.xfs [ filesys ... ]

DESCRIPTION
~       fsck.xfs  is  called by the generic Linux fsck(8) program at
startup to
~       check and repair an XFS filesystem.  XFS is a journaling
filesystem and
~       performs  recovery  at  mount(8)  time if necessary, so fsck.xfs
simply
~       exits with a zero exit status.

~       If you wish to check the consistency of an XFS filesystem, or
repair  a
~       damaged  or corrupt XFS filesystem, see xfs_check(8) and
xfs_repair(8).

FILES
~       /etc/fstab.

SEE ALSO
~       fsck(8), fstab(5), xfs(5), xfs_check(8), xfs_repair(8).

See also: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/XFS

HTH,

Timo