[CentOS] Strange problem with filesystem changes reverting on reboot

Wed May 6 11:18:58 UTC 2009
Alexx <alexx187 at gmail.com>

Bart Schaefer пишет:
*snipped content*

> On reboot the root file system seems to have reverted to the previous
> startup -- no CentOS plus, no Dag repository info in /etc/yum.repos.d,
> no xfs, and therefore no /var/lib/mysql.  This is at least the second
> time we've experienced this phenomenon ... suffice to say I am really
> really suspicious about ext3 now.
>
> The previous time this occurred was quite some time ago, probably soon
> after the CentOS 5.1 release -- we'd written it off as pilot error of
> some kind.  The root is not an LVM, but it is on a software RAID -- my
> suspicion leans more toward a RAID issue than ext3.
>
> Does any of this sound familiar to anyone?

Yep, it does.

I run some cluster and its gLite middleware on Scientific Linux 3.x
("flavour" of RHEL 3). Its "/" has been put to software RAID1, the same
thing you described has happened several times. After reboot (not
necessarily the first one) just about everything in file system reverted
to the previous state. Just like after the fresh install, *poof*

Currently I'm using Scientific Linux 4.7 on LVM in the mix with software
RIAD1. So far so good.

I didn't have time to experiment with software RIAD1 after stuff
disappeared. It had to be installed fast and put into operation, so I
just abandoned software RAID, and have no clue what was the reason and
how the issue could be solved.

Will be glaв if someone could shed the lite on this.

Cheers,
Alexei Altuhov.