[CentOS] fs for > 16 TiB partition

Wed May 6 19:35:00 UTC 2009
Timo Schoeler <timo.schoeler at riscworks.net>

John R Pierce wrote:
> Ralph Angenendt wrote:
>> BTW: ext3 handles "Out of power" corruptions better than xfs does.
>>

> power failure is -not- the only cause of this sort of condition...
> noone here has ever had a kernel panic?     I had a perfectly good
> server panic shortly after a cooling fan had failed combined with
> above-normal room temperatures due to somewhat overloaded HVAC.     CPU
> got hot (but not hot enough to trigger its thermal trip) and get some
> kind of cache error that was a fatal bugcheck in the CPU.
>
> I'm somewhat surprised the Linux community hasn't embraced IBM's JFS...
> I know its supported in many distributions (but not RH natively),
> however its out there in the "also runs" department.   Being rather
> conservative by nature,  I've only used JFS with AIX due to this, but
> found it to be a -very- robust file system with very good all around
> performance in a wide range of scenarios (really big files, as well as
> really large numbers of small files).

Same here (however, I was putting XFS into game first); JFS on AIX is
very stable.

However, one has to clearly distinct JFS from JFS2... (at least in the
AIX world, see wikipedia which states 'In the other operating systems,
such as OS/2 and Linux, only the second generation exists and is called
simply JFS.[3] This should not be confused with JFS in AIX that actually
refers to JFS1.' [0])

HTH,

Timo

[0] -- http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/JFS_(file_system)