[CentOS] Adding an 'official' CentOS image to the Amazon EC2(Electronic Compute Cloud)

Thu May 7 16:04:24 UTC 2009
nate <centos at linuxpowered.net>

Jason Pyeron wrote:

> "Inexpensive - Amazon EC2 passes on to you the financial benefits of
> Amazon's
> scale. You pay a very low rate for the compute capacity you actually
> consume."

Which is kinda funny since it's not true in many situations. My
company did a cost analysis of using the Amazon cloud vs doing it
ourselves, and the cloud cost at Amazon was more than double
what we would pay if we did it ourselves(TCO over a 3 year period).
And that's just the cost of the services themselves.

We do need hundreds of megabits of internet bandwidth, and lots of
CPU cycles as well as I/O cycles(and disk space), in the micro
pay model that Amazon has it adds up fast.. I'm sure it's more
cost effective if the stuff your doing sits idle most of the time.

We also priced out a premium enterprise provider that used VMware
enterprise and they came in at about 4x the cost of doing it
ourselves, CPU cycles in VMware enterprise are of course a lot
more expensive than non-vmware or even VMware foundation.

The premium enterprise VMWare vendor(Terremark) came within about
$15k of the cost of using Rackspace managed hosting(bare metal)
to do the same over a 3 year period which I thought was very
interesting, shows how expensive managed hosting can be as
well(we weren't looking for much software on hands support but
rather hardware support, leasing the equipment through them etc).

So not surprisingly we're doing it ourselves, which makes me
happy as an infrastructure guy. Building new sites and setting
up new things is something that keeps me happy.

I interviewed some guy for an operations position last week who
was proud of the fact they had migrated to the cloud, and it
was working great. Then I asked him what kind of traffic do
they get and how many servers? They got something like 10,000
requests a DAY, and they had 2 or 3 servers.  Big whoop!

nate